Cataract is a very common eye disease and the main cause for vision loss in the world. It happens when eye lens turns cloudy and fogging which affect vision.
In health eye, lenses are very transparent in which the light passes to the retina while change into nerve signals analyzed by the brain.
Cataract opacify vision in continuing process where objects seen like looking across a dirty glass.
Cataract Symptoms & Signs
- High Sensibility for light and glare.
- Gradual vision decrease and blurry vision.
- Poor night vision.
- Reading difficulties.
- Lamps, Headlights, or sunlight may look too bright.
How it can be treated?
Cataract can be treated only by a surgical operation. Thanks to the latest techniques, the surgery can be undergone with no injection and narcosis and even in clinic with no need to hospital. In the surgery, a new artificial lens (Intraocular Lens – IOL) is placed instead of the old lens which has lost its transparent characteristics.
Signs where the operation is needed
It is needed when a sings of blur, loss of vision transparency and differences in vision ability between the 02eyes. Taking into consideration that fact that cataract cannot be treated by a medical treatment, a surgery need to be performed.
In the surgery original cataractous lens is removed and replaced by other external lens.
The old method for Cataract operation called sutured method. Sutured method was a time consuming with after operation side effects of irritation, blurry vision and sting feeling apart from that the suture need to be removed.
Nowadays, a new advanced technique for cataract surgery called phacoemulsification is used. With a help of a very developed device a short rupture on cornea is made by ultrasound energy
Dissection is made into the original lens to a very small pieces and vacuumed.
The surgery is achieved without suturing by placing the alternative lens through the small rapture.
Phacoemulsification is a very safe with few complications technique which increase the sight level in a very short time as no large rupture is needed since the operation is held in closed system.
No suture replacement is needed after the operation. It is essentially to apply local anesthesia and during the procedure there will be no pain, patient can feel only light touches. Duration of the surgery is approx 5 – 10 minutes according the type of cataract. Throughout this time, the patient should not move his/her head or eye. And it’s standard to monitor pulse and blood pressure during the phaco. The patient can communicate with the doctor at any time during the operation.
Can cataract re-develop after the cataract surgery?
The re-development of cataract is not possible at all since the current cataractous lens is completely replaced as in cataract surgery a new lens is localized in the eye though a thin membrane after removal of defected cataractous lens.
In some cases, the membrane can be intensified. In fact, the intensification is not related to the after operation complication as it is may happen to the both eyes structurally. However, young patients and diabetic patients with pseudoexfoliation are more subject to the intensification.
The treatment in such cases does not involve a surgery. It can be treated with laser operation(YAG laser) which take few seconds only.
Important Before-After cataract operation issues
- Aspirin control and the similar medicines shall be stopped 03 days before the surgery.
- The patient can take a light breakfast in the surgery day.
- The patient should not stop medicines for systematic diseases like hypertension, asthma and diabetes in operation day. On the other hand; He/she shall keep observing oral anti – diabetic bills, insulin doses, and diet and it is advised to bring those medicines to hospital in the day of operation.
- The patient has to wash his/her face and avoid Cosmetic products like make up, lotions and perfumes.
- Before operation patient has to change his/her close and a patient gown will be given.
- The patient can go home shortly after the operation. it is advised for the patient to get someone to help him/her in the way or to drive a car. The doctor sets the first check after the operation within 36 hours.
During the surgery:
- The patient can communicate with doctor all the time during the surgery as he/she isn’t generally anaesthetized.
- The surgery is performed by PHACO Technique. By virtue if this technique, the vision develop in a very short time and no suture removal is needed after the operation.
- It is advised not to move the eye and head for a very short time during the surgery.
- In surgery room a refrıgerator, WC, TV, AC and seats for visitors are available.
How to use eye drops?
- Wash your hands before using the eye drop.
- In case the doctor proscribe 02 different eye drops, they should not be taken at the same time. The second one shall be used after 15 minutes of the first one as they might interact together.
- It is advised to shake the bottle before applying the drop.
- Pull your lower eye lid downward and put the drop on the inferior eye lid. Do not let the tip of the drip to touch to your eye.
- They usage of drops shall be in daylight and no need to use them at night.
- Using drops for 15 days according the given schedule will be sufficient if otherwise is not stated.